I have said it before, the rich do not have enough money to pay for all the Democrats spending demands. At least one prominent Democrat is willing to admit this:
The only problem is -- and this is initially going to seem like heresy from a progressive is -- the truth is everybody needs to pay more taxes, not just the rich. And it's a good start. But we're not going to get out of this deficit problem unless we raise taxes across the board, to go back to what Bill Clinton had and his taxes. And if we don't do that, the problem is the pressure is going to be on spending even more. - Real Clear Politics
Click the link and watch the interview. Howard Dean admits that the country would actually be better off if we go over the 'financial cliff' and return to the Clinton era tax rates for everybody, because that is how you really increase Government tax revenue.
Increasing taxes on the rich only solves 8% of the deficit problem. President Obama and the Democrats are silent about the other 92% of the solution because they have no intention of solving the problem.